Saturday, June 13, 2009

Dear Mr. Toad, I am sorry...






So Landon found a frog in the back yard the other day.  Cohen was napping and he was instructed to play alone, because there are very few quiet moments around here.  After playing outside a while, he came in extremely excited because he found the frog he had put in the back yard a week or so ago.  I have no idea if it was really the same frog, but he was excited.  He went straight for the tupperware drawer and caught him all by himself.  A while later he came in and said that he had hurt the frog.  He wanted to open the container to take a closer look and when the frog jumped it scared him and he snapped the lid back on and caught part of the frog in the act.  The frog was alive, I checked, but he wasn't moving, either because he was hurt or scared to death.  I went back inside, and about 10 minutes later Landon asked if he could play in the hose.  He was sure the frog would be back to his usual jumpy self if he gave him a little water.  I explained that being sprayed with the hose wasn't nice so he told me he would stop.  I went inside and decided to get the camera and snap a few photos.  This is what I saw when I came out.  He thought that the frog wanted to have a little fun, so he made him a slip and slide and took him for a ride.  The poor frog was alive, but just barely.  It was so sad.  I tried to explain to Landon that he had killed the frog and he was being really mean, but he was sure the frog was fine because he could see him breathing.  He promised to leave him alone, but apparently he didn't.  When he realized he was really dead, he dissected the frog.  I feel horrible, but I am sure he didn't understand.  This both creeped me out and worried me. Is it normal for a kid to feel no remorse for the poor frog?  I am terribly sorry Mr. Toad for not stopping him much, much earlier.  I didn't use the mean voice and although I knew you were pretty much dead, I didn't mean for you to become a science project.   

1 comment:

Kari said...

HAHA! Oh my gosh Allison that is such a funny story! Don't you just love little boys?! I was cracking up when I read this. Too funny!