Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Baptism by fire

So, I have no idea if that is what the saying is...but, whatever it is, that is how I felt tonight.  My help has left, and we had our first night on our own.  When I say on our own, I mean me and my three boys.  Steve is out of town, too.  The day was fine, but Grey is super cranky from, 7;30-9.  That is until I finally put him in the bath, get him fed and put to bed.  What time do my big boys go to bed?  Of course, at 8:00.  So tonight, I got the baby to finally take his pacifier, long enough to read Cohen a book, sing his songs and get him settled.  Then for Landon, lay for half a minute, say a prayer, and then the crying starts again.  This time, mommy can't settle him down.  So what do I do?  This is my child that has to be read to, sang to, and laid with for at least 5 minutes.  Cohen, can be read and sang to and then left.  Landon, not so much.  I tell Landon I will be back in a minute once I get the baby settled down, because now I am trying to be quiet because Cohen is trying to go to sleep.  Crying never stops.  Landon starts crying, Grey is hysterical, mommy is near tears, too.  Landon says " I don't like having a baby.  Go put him in his swing so I don't have to hear him cry so loud and come lay with me.  Grey, nearly purple now, he is holding his breath because he is crying so hard, and I ask Landon if he thinks that is a good idea.  His answer?  "Yes"  I finally have to give in and put Grey in the bath and leave Landon in tears.  I tried to explain to him at nap that this might be the case and that when daddy was gone, it might be really hard.  I feel bad, but he is getting close to 6, and I think that I should be able to read one book to him and his brother and sing one or two songs and he should be happy.  This may take a lot of getting used to.  I don't want him to hate the baby or pee on my floor, but I need to figure out how to please everyone.  We will just say, Landon didn't go to bed until almost 10:00, because when I don't lay with him, he gets out of bed a million times and thinks of the craziest thing that I can't tell him to go to bed and stop playing games.  Tonight is was that his bottom was really sore.  Seriously?  Oh, yes.  That means I have to get the rash cream and all for him.  At least they are all asleep now.  Tomorrow he will be grouchy, but at least he went to sleep.  Maybe it should be "death by fire".  Whatever the saying is...that is how I was feeling tonight.  
I will post more pictures after mothers day.  My hubby won't let me into the photo program until then.

2 comments:

Maury said...

sounds like fun:) sometimes three kids feels like thirty three.

Kari said...

Oh I so know how you were feeling!! I have been there and it is sooo tough! You are doing great Allison and I am so impressed with your patience. Just know it will and can get better... It just takes a little time for everyone to adjust! PLEASE call me if you ever need anything or just to vent!! I am alone most evenings these days too.