Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving

It's no secret around my house that Thanksgiving is one of my least favorite holidays.  It is not that I'm not thankful for a ton, especially my wonderful husband and children, it's just that it seems to be all about food and extended family.  Firstly, the food, no one in my family enjoys the traditional Thanksgiving food.  No turkey, yams, jello's, etc.  So if I do make a more traditional meal, the kids all complain.  Kindof a downer after you spend ALL day cooking.  Secondly, it seems like it is a time to get together with family, which is tough with travel and 4 kids.  So, this year we tried something different, and I am happy to report it was a major success.  We put all the different parts of a meal into a hat and everyone chose a part and picked their favorite thing.  Magic!  Everyone was excited about at least one thing.  
Landon-main dish: BBQ chicken
Cohen-side: Caprese salad (tomato, mozzarella, basil)
Grey- side: rice
Lillian-:appetizer: fruit salad
Steve-drink: crunchy punch
Me-dessert: mixed berry pie
I wish we had done a bread, but next year we'll remember.
The boys did a father/son turkey bowl this year that was a blast, and we did our traditional pumpkin muffins for breakfast.
It was a wonderful day and I am so very thankful for the many many blessing the Lord has given to me and my family!









No comments: